Information and reference resource of standardized military terminology (hereinafter – information and reference resource) is developed in order to regulate the translation of standardized Ukrainian military terminology, used in NATO service records. Information and reference resource includes the list of military standardized terms and word combinations, recommended to be used within the Ministry of Defense and the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Information and reference resource is not full and complete, there are alterations to be introduced with due regard to practical experience.
Information and reference resource is recommended to be used in official correspondence and while working out service documentation.
Information and reference resource standards are applied to bodies of orders, regulations or other legal document.
1. General provisions
1.1. Provisions on information and reference resource of standardized military terminology regulate rules and procedures of standardized military terminology provided by structural subdivisions of the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine to be included to official information and reference resource, determines principal stages of the development and registration of military bilingual and multilingual standards for terms and definitions, military handbooks of foreign terminology, military dictionaries as well as military glossaries and establishes procedures of their verification, review, alteration or cancellation.
These stages comply with the established standardization practice and consider peculiarities of the preparation of military regulatory documents as well as their circulation.
1.2. Information and reference resource is functioning in order to:
- Coordinate strategic communications translated into foreign language;
- Enforce provisions of the Strategic Defence Bulletin as related to alterations made into military terminology in accordance with NATO regulations and standards;
- Improve the development and usage of foreign terminology within the Armed Forces of Ukraine;
- Standardize NATO terminology within the Armed Forces of Ukraine;
- Inform structural subdivisions of the Ministry of Defense and the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine about the development and standardization of new terminology within the Armed Forces of Ukraine;
- Develop required capabilities to provide linguistic support (translation included) to the activity of the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine.
1.3. Information and reference resource is operational in both Ukrainian- and English-language versions.
1.4. Research and practice problematics of the functioning and content filling of the information and reference resource shall be the point issue at research-to-practice conferences, forums and seminars related to military terminology issues.
2. Information to be included into information and reference resource:
2.1. Military bilingual and multilingual standards for terms and definitions, military handbooks of foreign terminology, military dictionaries as well as military glossaries.
2.2. Referential and regulatory information of a shared access as well as information for users related to process of the development and standardization of military terminology.
2.3. Announcements and news as well as notices about events related to military terminology, held or participated by military standardization body.
3.1. Military Standard developers are responsible for the authenticity and relevance of information, submitted to be included into information and reference resource.
3.2. Head of the Linguistic Research Center is responsible for the filling of the information and reference resource.